Will Mold In My Home Affect My Pets?

Close-up Of A Shocked Woman Looking At Mold On Wall

You love your pets like family. So when your home is infested with mold, it’s natural to wonder if mold in your home will affect your pet’s health. While not all mold causes adverse health effects, there are strains of toxic black mold that can threaten your pet’s health. Professional mold testing identifies the exact species of mold in your home, and determines its toxicity and potential health effects.

While not all molds are toxic, most can cause allergic reactions. It can also cause health issues for household members and animals after chronic or long-term mold growth.

Toxic black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, gained national media attention in 2007, when a veterinarian identified it as the cause of death for two cats. The cats were undergoing a routine dental procedure under anesthetic, when their lungs hemorrhaged. According to Petful.com, the toxic chemical produced by black mold known as mycotoxin causes cell and liver damage. Specifically, it damages the liver’s ability to “produce blooding clotting factors.” Symptoms of poor blood clotting are bloody noses, blood in bowel movements and in the case of the two cats — fatal hemorrhaging.

Mold Exposure Symptoms

Toxic black mold causes physical symptoms in pets as it does in humans. In humans, black mold symptoms might include wheezing, coughing, runny nose, nosebleeds, vomiting, bloodshot eyes and more. Pets who have been affected by toxic mold may show symptoms such as sneezing, nosebleeds, skin rashes, lethargy, trembling, loss of appetite, and sores. Other symptoms include: hair loss, scratching, noisy breathing and changes in behavior.

Some dog breeds are more susceptible to mold-related illness than others, especially breeds that are prone to upper-respiratory issues. These breeds include: boxers, chihuahuas, bulldogs, shih tzus, pugs, and Pekinese. These are all known as Brachycephalic breeds, or those with short noses and flat faces. According to Mold-Answers.com, dogs in general may be more susceptible to mold-related illness than humans simply because of their smaller size.

Many Mold Test USA customers are sick and do not know why. Because mold symptoms resemble other health issues, it’s common for customers to be misdiagnosed. Professional mold testing provides customers with a lab analysis that can be given to your doctor, or veterinarian, to help assist treatment and diagnosis. We recommend that healthcare professionals perform bloodwork or a urinalysis to determine if a mold detox is needed.

Mold Exposure Next Steps

There are two courses of action you must take if your pet is diagnosed with a mold-related illness. The first, of course, is to seek veterinary care for your animal. Depending on your animal’s condition, the vet may prescribe antibiotics, steroids, or another medication, according to Mold-Answers.com. The vet may require your pet to stay overnight at the animal hospital until all mold has been remediated from the home.

This brings us to the second course of action that must be taken: mold removal. To protect the members of your home from additional health issues, you must remove the mold as soon as possible. With professional mold testing, you not only verify if you have a mold issue, but the location of the mold growth, the spore count, the type of mold present, if it is toxic, health issues related to that mold, total area of exposure, and if remediation is needed.

If you want the peace of mind that you and your furry friend are living into a healthy environment, call Mold Test USA today to schedule a mold test. We will perform our signature 52-point inspection to give you unbiased results about the type of mold in your home, the source of the moisture, and recommended next steps to handle your mold growth.

CALL 1-877-701-2606 TODAY!


We have experienced mold specialists standing by to answer any questions that you may have regarding residential and commercial mold testing and mold inspections!